Search!

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Sequel to Another World: Another Time

Hey!

I was looking through my old work, and I found this sequel to Another World. Hope you like it!



I turn over in my bed, unable to go to sleep. I can smell the fresh air outside. Suddenly, I yearn to be able to fly, to soar above the clouds, to be free. I hear mom and dad talking in Hindi, one of India’s main languages, to my dada and dadi, my dad’s parents. Brr, I think, as I snuggle deeper under my blanket, It’s freezing. Should I ask mom to make me a glass of milk? I muse as I turn my night light on. No, I decide. As I reach to turn it off, my eyes fall on the book I was reading, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I decide to read that for a while, to help me fall asleep. I pull my blanket over my head, leaving a small crack for the light to come in, then start reading. Whenever I hear someone talking near my room, or walking up the stairs, I quickly close my book and hide the light. I wait for them to pass, then resume reading. Ten minutes later finds me so immersed in Harry Potter that I didn’t hear my mom coming to check on me. Suddenly, I am ripped from the Last Battle as I hear my mom talking outside my door. I have just enough time to hide my book and turn off my light before my mom comes in. She seems to think that I am asleep, because she kisses the top of my head and tiptoes outside, closing the door softly behind her. I decide enough was enough and I should go to sleep. So I close my eyes and drift off to Dreamworld.

~* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ 

I smell something. A shiver creeps up my spine as I sniff the air again. The smell was of....death. Fear races through me. Did someone die? Is someone dying? Am I dying? I almost sit up, then realize it is just a dream. I snuggle deeper under my blanket, already falling asleep.

A little later, I wake up again. What woke me up? I wonder. Oh. My foot. Yesterday, a bee had stung me. My foot had swelled up today, and it still hurts when something touches it. I am about to sit up and massage it when I realize nothing is touching it. A familiar shiver makes my back tingle. I close my eyes again, letting my other senses explore. Ah ha! I think, I see now. A cold hand was on my foot. Weird, I think, Mom and Dad know it hurts when something touches my foot. So why are they touching it now? What in the world...? The death scent is in the air! And this time, it is definitely NOT my dream. A thought crosses my mind. Could that be...Lord Voldemort? No way! But, no matter how hard I try, I can’t get that thought out of my mind. Well, I think, giving up on trying to get the thought out, isn’t he dead? Voldemort is dead! Harry Potter killed him! Well, yes, but haven’t I always said Voldemort must have a person to take over after he dies? A voice inside my head answers, Haven’t I always said there must be someone to take over if Voldemort dies? Yes, I have, I answer slowly, but if that person, or creature, is there, and is real, then why is him/her/it in my bedroom? Am I special? Hey, maybe this means I will go to Hogwarts! Well, back to the matter at hand. The cold hand. I decide to wiggle my toes a bit. So I do. I hear a high pitched, cold voice murmuring, ‘The girl is awake.’ So, as terrified as I am, I manage to scream ‘MOM! DAD! HELP!’ Of course, Mom and Dad wake up and run to my room right after the thing, whatever is is, gets over the shock of hearing me scream. I have a loud voice, believe me. “Silly child....” It murmurs.

I suddenly find myself sitting up in my bed. I have the feeling I’m forgetting something. I try to recall my dream, but the only thing I can remember is the word obliviate...

No comments:

Post a Comment