Search!

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

I am the Goddess of Words...

Hi again!!
Um...I was having fun using big words in an overly dramatic essay for school?...


The goddess laughed harshly, favoring the bold girl with a gander. I smile. That captures it nicely! Now I just need to make sure Athena doesn’t see it, otherwise she will surely destroy my latest piece of writing. When I was younger, growing up with a mortal family, I had always loved to read. As I grew older, I was introduced to the idea that I could write stories like the ones I love, whose origins I had never really thought of. My love of words, and English in general, has only grown since then, along with the number of stories I have read and written. I am the goddess of words, worshipped by the Greek mortals. I deserve the title of goddess of words because I can speak many languages, I am loquacious, and I am quite skilled at convincing mortals that what I am saying is veritable.

The first quality that leads to me being the goddess of words is fluency in many languages. “Arey yaar! Mi computadora…” I mutter, exasperated. I have always used English, Spanish, and Hindi interchangeably at home. English is, of course, my first language, but it seems like I started learning Hindi at the same time. Both my parents are from India, an occurrence that led to my family visiting every year and a half or so. Because of this, and the fact that they often talk in Hindi at home, I slowly picked up this precise language. With Spanish, I must kudize my siblings and a show I used to idolize called Dora the Explorer. From Dora, the main character of this show, I learned the basics, like, “hello,” and, “goodbye,” and, “let’s go!” I also learned some Spanish from my siblings, who were both taking it in middle and high school. As I learned more and more, from my siblings and, later, school, I started to descry similarities between Hindi and Spanish. For example, tĂș, which means you in Spanish, has the exact same meaning in Hindi. This aspect is very important for my divinity, because I am able to communicate with many different people. It is also important that I know so many languages, considering that I will be able to understand similar languages as well.

The second trait is that I am voluble. I can, and often do, speak for quite a while. I am able to converse with anyone from the most rowdy elephant to the most taciturn mouse. This is very important to me, because I wouldn’t be much of a goddess of words if I never talked to anybody! When I was little, I used to live in a mortal region called California. I remember one day meeting two girls, sisters, at a party. The older sister was as talkative as I was, and we chatted unremittingly. Soon, though, I noticed that her younger sister was very quiet, and looked a little out of place. I suddenly turned to her and started speaking, asking questions about everything, from school to favorite books. Presently, she began to react to my words, and, by the end of the party, we were communing like old friends.

The third, and last, facet of my adroitness is the ability to sway my audience. This trick is especially useful because I can convince mortals to worship and give offerings to the other gods and goddesses, and naturally me. I can also persuade the other immortals that yes, I am perfect for the title of goddess of words. In the second grade, when I used to live in the territory of Oregon, I would often find childish pleasure in convincing my friends to make me things in our free time. If they did, they would earn a star. I recall that at the end of the year, I had so many ‘gifts’ to take home!

I am the goddess of words because I am learned in many languages, excellent at conversing, and very convincing. I have always pondered if, someday, I would be able to coalesce all, or the most well-known, of the languages of the world into one, universal tongue. Maybe, with this language, I could change the future, or past, with my lucid words, by convincing time that what I am saying is what happened or will happen. Perhaps one day I will be able to convince Kronos to rest, to slow down, to stop trying to come back for a few centuries. And so, once again, she saved Olympus, with just her mighty words.

No comments:

Post a Comment