Search!

Friday, March 22, 2013

Triumph

This is an experiment with description:


I run across the field, racing after the girl in front of me. She runs hard, but I’m faster, and I catch up. I suddenly cut across her, kicking the ball that is between her feet and yelling my teammate’s name. My teammate grins and dribbles the ball toward the other side of the field, two opponents chasing her. I pause for a moment to catch my breath, and then I’m off! I exult in the feel of the wind as I run as hard as I can, trying to get into a good position for a pass. My teammate glances up, searching, searching... and sees me. She kicks the ball, and I race against the other team. I reach there first, and don’t waste any time, knowing that the slightest mistake or hesitation could cost us the game. I glance at the goal in front of me, everything else a distant memory. It seems to taunt me, as the goalie tries to block the entire goal. I rake my eyes over her, trying to find an opening. There! If I can just get it in that small space... I take a deep breath.

And then I kick, I kick with all my might. The whole field, instead of getting quiet, like you would think, erupts. The goalie sees where I’m aiming and leaps to cover it.... but it’s too late! The ball narrowly misses her hands, coming to a stop right in front of the net. I smile. That’s all I can manage, but my teammate yells my name and runs toward me. I laugh at her excitement, and then I hear her words. “We won! We won!” I gasp, not believing it. But it’s true. I hear the score, whispered from both sides of the field: 3 - 2. I still don’t believe it.

We won.

I am momentarily stunned, but my friend and teammate grabs my hand and pulls me towards the congratulations, pouring from the mouths of our families. I glance at the other team, and I remember something. I motion for my teammate to follow me and whisper something in her ear. We head toward our rivals, and then line up.

“Good game,” I say, raising my hand for a high five. The other team lines up as well, and we cheer for each other and for a great game.

No comments:

Post a Comment